In which the holiday tradition continues: a Danish story

This story is told by many people, with lots of variations. 
I have always loved Jack Kent's version best -- the book is 
out of print, but your local library can find it for you.



Puzzle: we will always love him


The Fat Cat (Denmark)
One morning an old woman was stirring a big pot of gruel.  She had some business with the woman across the way, so she asked her cat, “Cat, will you stir this gruel for me?”

And the cat said, “Yes.”

But as soon as she was gone…well, it smelled so good!  The cat ate all the gruel.  And then ate the pot, too.

The woman came back.  “What have you been eating my little cat?  You are so fat!”

And the cat answered, “I ate all the gruel, and the pot too.  And now, I am also going to eat you!”

And he ate the old woman.

The cat went outside and he went for a walk.  On his walk he met Skalinkenlott and Skahottentott.   They asked him, “What have you been eating my little cat?  You are so fat!”

And the cat answered, “I ate all the gruel, and the pot and the old woman too.  And now, I am also going to eat you!”

And he ate Skalinkenlott and Skahottentott.

He continued on his walk.  On his walk he met five birds in a flock.  The five birds asked him, “What have you been eating my little cat?  You are so fat!”

And the cat answered, “I ate all the gruel, and the pot and the old woman too.  I ate Skalinkenlott and Skahottentott.  And now, I am also going to eat you!”

And he ate the five birds in a flock.

He continued on his walk.  On his walk he met seven girls dancing.  The seven girls asked him, “What have you been eating my little cat?  You are so fat!”

And the cat answered, “I ate all the gruel, and the pot and the old woman too.  I ate Skalinkenlott and Skahottentott and five birds in a flock.  And now, I am also going to eat you!”

And he ate the seven girls dancing.

He continued on his walk.  On his walk he met a lady with a pink parasol and a parson with a crooked staff.  They asked him, “What have you been eating my little cat?  You are so fat!”

And the cat answered, “I ate all the gruel, and the pot and the old woman too.  I ate Skalinkenlott and Skahottentott and five birds in a flock and seven girls dancing.  And now, I am also going to eat you!”

And he ate the lady with the pink parasol and the parson with the crooked staff.

He continued on his walk.  On his walk he met a woodcutter with an axe.  The woodcutter asked him, “What have you been eating my little cat?  You are so fat!”

And the cat answered, “I ate all the gruel, and the pot and the old woman too.  I ate Skalinkenlott and Skahottentott and five birds in a flock and seven girls dancing, and the lady with the pink parasol and the parson with the crooked staff.  And now, I am also going to eat you!”

But the woodcutter said, “Oh no, my little cat, you are wrong.”  

He took that axe and he cut open that cat.  

And out jumped…the parson with the crooked staff.  And the lady with the pink parasol.  And seven girls dancing and five birds in a flock.  And Skahottentott and Skalinkenlott.  And the old woman, who took her pot and her gruel and went home with them.

But the cat spent the rest of the day sewing his stomach back together again. 



Here's a recipe that doesn't require much stirring.

Lexi’s French Toast Casserole

6 eggs
¼ cup flour
¼ - ½ cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
¼ - ½ cup sugar
1 Tbs vanilla
3 Tbs butter
¾ cup half-and-half
2 cups milk

1 loaf crusty day-old bread

Cut or tear bread into small pieces.  Place in a greased 9”x13” pan.  
Whisk together eggs, milk, half-and-half, sugar and vanilla.  Pour over the bread in the pan.  Cover and refrigerate 2+ hours (or overnight).

Preheat oven to 350*

Combine brown sugar, flour and cinnamon.  Cut butter into small pieces (I use a cheese grater) and add to flour mixture.  With a fork, blend butter into flour, then sprinkle over the bread in the pan.

Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes.  
Uncover and bake another 20-25 minutes (until it’s brown and doesn’t wiggle when you shake the pan).  


Comments

Popular Posts